The Story of Sun Devil Family Charities
The roots of Sun Devil Family Charities started with the SAVEJOE Foundation, which was created by former Arizona State University offensive guard Joe Cajic in 1998. Cajic was in the need of a life saving bone marrow transplant to cure Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. The SAVEJOE Foundation was established for the purpose of addressing three major problems affecting bone marrow donation: education, funding and recruitment. This foundation worked closely with Arizona State University, United Blood Services, National Marrow Donor Program, City of Hope/Samaritan Bone Marrow Transplantation Program and the Leukemia Society of America. Through the cooperative efforts of these organizations, and with the assistance of the local business community, the SAVEJOE Foundation was active to pursue solutions to the problems facing bone marrow donation and assist the thousands of “Joes” requiring bone marrow transplants. Amazingly, through blood drives and subsidizing the costs of increasing the bone marrow registry, a lifesaving bone marrow match for Joe was found and Joe successfully underwent a bone marrow transplant.
SAVEJOE realized that providing assistance to those with medical hardships had become a regular part of their lives. At the same time Joe Cajic had recovered from his bone marrow transplant and SAVEJOE decided it was time to create an all volunteer public charity that will provide financial assistance to those connected to Arizona State University that are experiencing a medical hardship. The result was a non-profit, public charity committed to serving students, past students, alumni, faculty and staff of Arizona State University. Sun Devil Family Charities was born.
SDFC will conduct a financial hardship assistance program to provide temporary assistance for qualified individuals, the “SDFC Cares” Program.
In addition to SDFC financial support programs, SDFC will work closely with community leaders and the public in understanding the facts of medical hardship, as well as develop further programs to temporarily assist those that need a helping hand. In order to accomplish these lofty goals we must pursue fund raising campaigns in the community. We are asking for your support. We sincerely believe that the families we assist are worthy of your donations.
Our Mission and Goals
Sun Devil Family Charities is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with the purpose to support alumni, students or faculty of Arizona State University and their related family that may need financial assistance resulting from a medical necessity. Towards this end, it will undertake the following activities:
- Outreach to those that require medical hardship assistance.
- Allocate public and/or private funds, as appropriate, to subsidize medical hardship assistance.
- Seek and apply for state, federal, and private fund available for medical hardship assistance programs.
- Allocate public and/or private funds, as appropriate, to organizations, agencies, or individuals that can provide support for those in need of medical hardship assistance.
- Work closely with community leaders in promoting awareness and educational programs regarding the need for medical hardship assistance programs.
- Develop awareness in the business community, in local government, and in the general public of the importance of assisting those who have fallen on medical hardships.
- Engage in other activities that will assist SDFC in implementing this purpose.